BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF MR. WALES A. GOEBEL
Mr. Wales Goebel was born in Tallapoosa, Georgia, and attended West Georgia College where he met his future wife, Jean Duff. After Wales’ graduation they were married. They are the parents of three sons and grandparents of four grandchildren.
Mr. Goebel was appointed United States Marshall of the Northern District of Georgia. He spent several years as a land developer and then in 1967 he and Jean began the Wales Goebel Ministry, a full-time work with troubled teenagers in Birmingham, Alabama.
In 1980 Mr. & Mrs. Goebel founded a ministry to women experiencing a crisis-pregnancy, which was named Sav-A-Life, Inc. In the 25 years since Sav-A-Life, Inc. first opened over 500,000 young women have received assistance. Over 123,000 professions of faith have been recorded and 51,000 babies have been saved. Today there are 67 Sav-A-Life affiliates in six states ministering to over 20,000 girls each year.
In 1981 Mr. Goebel, with Mr. John Carr, founded Lifeline Children’s Services, Inc., for the purpose of placing babies for adoption in the homes of Christian parents. Since that time, over 1000 babies have been placed for adoption.
In 1982 Lifeline’s 40 acres of property was purchased to provide housing for young girls. Today there are four homes in operation and over 700 young women have been housed.
Awards and Achievements
- Service to Mankind Award – Sertoma International, States of Alabama and Mississippi.
- Brother Bryan Award for Christian and Humanitarian Service in Jefferson County, State of Alabama, 1978.
- Appreciation Award – French Camp Youth Academy, French Camp, Mississippi.
- Recognition and Appreciation Award – Jefferson County, State of Alabama, Sheriff’s Department: Chaplain’s Division.
- Proclamation by the Honorable Fob James, Governor of the State of Alabama, for Sav-A-Life, Inc.
- Award from the State Fraternal Congress for his support of the family.
- Unsung Hero 1982 – American Life Lobby.
- Keys to the Cities of Tupelo, Mississippi, and Clarksdale, Mississippi.
- Foundation for Christian Youth Leadership of Washington, D. C. award given for Mr. Goebel’s devotion to his country and the youth of America.
- Women’s Committee of 100 Award for Mr. Goebel’s contribution to the elevation of humanity.
- Proclamation by the Honorable Bob Riley, Governor of the State of Alabama, declaring January 5, 2005 as Wales Goebel Day in the State of Alabama for exemplary service to the citizens of the great State of Alabama.
- Proclamation by the Senate of the State Legislature of Alabama honoring Mr. Goebel for his exceptional service to the citizens of Alabama.
- Crawford Stand Award given by WDJC and WYDE for taking a stand and for Mr. Goebel’s outstanding contribution to the State of Alabama.
- Briarwood Leadership Award, 2005.